Raised itchy areas on the skin are usually an allergic response and are called hives, urticaria, or wheals. In Ayurveda, it is known as shitpitta. Hives are elevated above the surrounding skin, reflecting swelling of the skin. They are usually bright red around the edges and may have a texture like that of orange skin. The hives are usually well circumscribed but maybe coalescent and will blanch (whiten) with pressure. They usually itch.
- The primary treatment is to increase the immunity of the body. An excellent remedy is to take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder (Haridra khand) with a glass of milk or water two to three times a day.
- Massage the skin with mustard oil for 15 minutes, followed by a bath with lukewarm water.
- Make a paste of 2 cups of oatmeal and 3 teaspoons of cornstarch and water. Apply this paste on the affected areas until the itching is reduced.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Avoid all sweets including sugar, jaggery, and alcohol.
- Avoid incompatible foods, sour foods, and heavy foods that are difficult to digest.
- Have freshly prepared, easily digestible foods.
- Eat cooked split gram (split legumes), bitter gourd vegetable, and pomegranate.
- Use honey rather than sugar.
- Use mustard oil for cooking.
- Fast for one day or have very light foods like porridge, boiled rice, vegetable soup, etc.
- Avoid suppressing the urge to vomit.
- Avoid exposure to wind, sleeping in the daytime, sunbathing, and excessive indulgence in sex.