Constipation is usually related to the imbalance of the Ayurvedic body energy, vata. Vata imbalance causes dryness in the body and problems related to movement and internal transportation of substances.
Avoid fried food, white flour and white sugar products, cheese, and processed food. Try not to drink tea or coffee. Dry, cold or light food should not form a large part of the diet. Drink water regularly during the day. However, do not drink water immediately after or before meals. Try not to overeat, and have at least 4-5 hours between two meals. Avoid heavy food or food that is difficult to digest at night, and eat at least 2 hours before sleeping. Drinking a glass of hot milk before bed is also good.
Home Remedies for Constipation:
- Develop a habit of drinking water in the morning. Start with 2 glasses of water, and increase intake up to 6 - 7 glasses. It is more beneficial if this water can be stored in a copper container overnight.
- Figs are a good remedy for constipation. After washing them in hot water, three or four dried figs can be soaked overnight in water. Eat them first thing in the morning, and drink the water in which they were soaked. They should also be taken in the evening. Try this treatment for three or four weeks.
- Drinking warm water with lemon juice and a pinch of salt is good. This can be taken several times a day.
- Take 2 teaspoons of castor oil before bed. Aloe Vera gel can also be taken to ease the symptoms. Have a couple of teaspoons each morning and evening.
- Eat around 8 fresh apricots.
- Boiling raisins in milk, and drinking this before bed, can cure constipation.