Eczema is a disease characterized by skin rashes that have redness, swelling, itching, dryness, and flaking. The skin itches and when scratched results in a rash. In Ayurveda, this is known as vicharchika. It occurs when the immune system becomes unbalanced, so the condition is often associated with other allergic conditions like allergic asthma, hay fever, etc. Genetic factors, debility, climate, and psychological factors can dispose one to the condition.
- Prepare a decoction by boiling 20-30 margosa (neem) leaves in about 4-5 cups of water for 20 minutes. Let it cool and use this water to wash the affected area.
- Boil 30 grams of Indian gum tree (babul) bark and 30 grams of mango tree bark in 1 litre of water for 30 minutes. Use this water to make a hot compress (fomentation) on the affected part. After fomentation for about 15-20 minutes, clean the skin with a dry cloth and apply purified butter as an ointment.
- Mix 1 teaspoon powder of licorice root with a small amount of sesame oil. Warm this in a pan and then apply to the affected part. Wrap a bandage over it and leave for 3-4 hours. Repeat twice a day.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Avoid spicy or oily food and a hot humid atmosphere.
- Wear loose, cotton clothes.
- Avoid synthetic fibres as they inhibit perspiration.
- Avoid soap or use mild herbal soap for bathing.
- Use a soft, smooth towel and avoid rubbing the skin.
- Avoid tea, coffee, hot spices, and canned and preserved foods.