Excessive shedding of dead skin from the scalp is called dandruff. Skin cells die and flake off, so a small amount of flaking is normal, but when it increases beyond a certain limit, it results in social and self-esteem problems. In a normal condition the scalp skin dies and flakes off in a month, while in those suffering from dandruff, this happens every 2-7 days. It is also associated with redness and itching.
- Mix 2-3 teaspoons of coconut oil with 1 teaspoon of Indian gooseberry (amla; amalaki) juice. Gently massage the scalp with this each day.
- Add 10 drops of lemon juice to 1 egg white, and beat well. Apply to the scalp and hair once a week.
- Mix 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon mustard oil, and 1 cup yoghurt. Apply this to the hair ½ to 1 hour before washing the head and hair.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Wash hair regularly 2-3 times a week with a mild shampoo.
- Massage your hair with oil every time before washing the head and hair.
- Indigestion, constipation, and acid stomach should be treated.
- Avoid spicy, greasy, hot and penetrating foods, junk food, and aerated drinks.
- Have food with good nutritive value; include fibre-rich foods, salads, fruits, and lentils.