A backache or back pain which usually originates from the muscles, nerves, bones, joints or other structures in the spine. It is a common problem encountered by many people due to poor diet and bad posture. It occurs when the flexibility of the spine is affected. Also, the condition can be the result of a spinal disc problem, injury to the ligaments around the spine, nerves emerging from the spinal cord, injury to muscles of the back, or diseases of the organs of the pelvis.
- Have 2-3 teaspoons of psyllium husk with a glassful of hot milk at bedtime. This will evacuate the rectum, treating constipation, which is one of the main causes of flatulence and vata aggravation.
- Have 1 teaspoon of castor oil with a glassful of milk at bedtime. Castor oil is considered one of the best oils to pacify vata dosha.
- Massage the affected area gently with warm sesame oil and cover with a cotton cloth. Avoid exposure to air or cold wind.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Avoid having cold, stale, or fried foods; junk food; and aerated and alcoholic beverages, as these aggravate vata in the body.
- Have freshly prepared warm food and chew the food properly as it helps in complete digestion, preventing constipation and flatulence.
- Add ¼ to ½ teaspoon of purified butter to food to pacify the dry nature of vata.
- Have early and light dinners to aid better digestion because at night metabolism gets sluggish.
- Avoid excessive physical exertion and take complete rest. Avoid sitting in one posture for long periods.
- Take a small break every hour. Make a habit of doing light exercises in the morning like walking, jogging, or stretching exercises, and have regular body massage to alleviate vata.