Acne is a skin condition in which there is excess production of oil from the sebaceous glands leading to the blockage of hair follicles. It is the most common problem of adolescents, therefore, it is known as Yauvanpidika in Ayurveda; Yauvan means ‘adolescence’ and pidika means ‘pustules or papules’.
- Mix equal quantities of saffron, turmeric, margosa (neem), red sandalwood, basil, and fuller’s earth with buttermilk or milk and make a paste of it. Apply twice a day.
- Make a powdered mixture of coriander seeds, fennel, basil, turmeric, and Indian gooseberry (amla; amalaki) in equal parts. Take ½ teaspoon of this powder 15 minutes before lunch and dinner.
- Take 1 teaspoon of powdered Indian gooseberry fruit (amla; amalaki) in morning and evening with water.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Avoid spicy, oily, bitter, and sour foods.
- Eat fresh, unprocessed food.
- Increase the use of herbs that have cooling effects on the body like fennel, coriander seeds, Indian gooseberry (amla; amalaki), and aloe vera.
- Increase the intake of water to about 8-10 glasses per day, and take coconut water.
- Wash your face frequently with mild herbal soaps.
- Cleanse your face with lemon peels.