What is Basti?
As per Wikipedia, Basti is one of the main Pradhana Karmas of Panchkarma, and it is used to treat Vata disorders.
In simple terms, it is a medicated ENEMA. In Basti, the medicated ghee or herbal oils are administered into the ANUS with the help of an instrument, specially designed for this process. Basti is considered as the mother of all treatments. It is done in Pakwashaya i.e. lower gastrointestinal tract. It is the main site of Vata Dosha. Furthermore, Enemas are also given as treatment for Constipation if nothing works for the patient. It is not a localized or symptomatic treatment. Basti also feeds the colonic flora.
Herbs Used For Basti Treatment
- Vata Dosha: - Madhura, Amla, Rasna, Dashmoola, Ashwagandha/li>
- Pitta Dosha: - Tikhta, Madhura, Neem, Vasa, Chandan/li>
- Kapha Dosha: - Kshaya Rasa, Punarnava, Trikatu
Benefits of Basti Treatment
- It is one of the best treatments for treating abnormal Vata. This includes lower back pain, gout, arthritis, chronic constipation, etc.
- It benefits epilepsy, and also dysfunction of senses.
- Basti also enhances the immune system of the individual by cleansing the Colon.
- Basti also nourishes the base Prana of the body which is formed in the colon of the body.
CAUTION: - BASTI should be done by someone who is experienced and knows the ins and outs of this Ayurvedic treatment. That's why we advise you to book your Basti Panchkarma Treatment with AyurvedGuru.