Raised itchy areas on the skin are usually an allergic response and are called hives, urticaria,
. In Ayurveda, it is known as shitpitta.
Hives are elevated above the surrounding skin, reflecting swelling of the skin. They are usually bright red around the edges and may have a texture like that of orange skin. The hives are usually well circumscribed but may be coalescent and will blanch (whiten) with pressure. They usually itch.
- The primary treatment is to increase the immunity of the body. An excellent remedy is to take 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder (Haridra khand) with a glass of milk or water two to three times a day.
- Massage the skin with mustard oil for 15 minutes, followed by a bath with lukewarm water.
- Make a paste of 2 cups of oatmeal and 3 teaspoons of cornstarch and water. Apply this paste on the affected areas until the itching is reduced.
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Avoid all sweets including sugar, jaggery, and alcohol.
- Avoid incompatible foods, sour foods, and heavy foods that are difficult to digest.
- Have freshly prepared, easily digestible foods.
- Eat cooked split gram (split legumes), bitter gourd vegetable, and pomegranate.
- Use honey rather than sugar.
- Use mustard oil for cooking.
- Fast for one day or have very light foods like porridge, boiled rice, vegetable soup, etc.
- Avoid suppressing the urge to vomit.
- Avoid exposure to wind, sleeping in the daytime, sunbathing, and excessive indulgence in sex.