What is Psoriasis?
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition caused by an overactive immune system. Symptoms include flaking, inflammation, and thick, white, silvery, or red patches of skin. Psoriasis treatments include steroid creams, occlusion, light therapy and oral medications, such as biologics.
What Causes Psoriasis?
Psoriasis can be caused by a variety of reasons. Heredity can be crucial. If one parent is affected, then there is 15% of chances for the child to suffer from psoriasis. If both the parents are affected then the possibility of child getting the psoriasis is 60%. Use of certain medications, such as those used to treat bipolar disorder and high blood pressure. Consumption of opposite foods (such as fish and milk together), trauma on skin like cuts, bruises or burns, some medicines or skin irritants, excessive smoking, alcohol consumption and mental stress can also be responsible for causing it.
Symptoms For Psoriasis
- Itching or burning skin
- Raised pus-filled skin bumps
- Skin redness around pustules
- Skin pain and inflammation
- Skin blisters
- Dry skin patches
- Bleeding skin patches
Diet & Lifestyle
- Do not take cold water bath immediately after a heavy workout, traveling, a long walk, etc.
- Take care not to consume foods which cause indigestion.
- Do not control natural urges like vomiting, urination, bowels, etc.
- Absolutely do not eat too much of salty, sour or acidic foods.
- Avoid sleeping in afternoons.
- Say no to radish, sesame, jaggery (gur), curds, fish and other sour foods.
Home Remedies For Psoriasis
- Cover the affected part with a fresh thin banana leaf.
- Take 15-20 sesame seeds and soak in a glass of water. Keep it overnight and drink on an empty stomach early in the morning.
- Take 1-2 cup of bitter gourd juice on empty stomach in the morning. Continue this for 5-6 months. Patient may add a tablespoon of lime juice, if they find it difficult to digest the bitter taste.