What it is?
Parkinson’s disease is a progressive disorder of the nervous system that affects your movement. It develops gradually, sometimes starting with a barely noticeable tremor in just one hand. But while a tremor may be the most well-known sign of Parkinson’s disease, the disorder also commonly causes stiffness or slowing of movement. Parkinson’s disease affects the nerve cells in the brain that produce dopamine. Parkinson’s disease symptoms include muscle rigidity, tremors, and changes in speech and gait. After diagnosis, treatments can help relieve symptoms,
What causes it?
Parkinson’s disease is caused by the progressive impairment or deterioration of neurons (nerve cells) in an area of the brain known as the substantia nigra. When functioning normally, these neurons produce a vital brain chemical known as dopamine.
1. Mental slowness
4. Rigidity in muscles
5. Tremors in extremities
6. Aching limbs
7. Slowness in movements
8. Small hand writing
Diet & Lifestyle
1. As environmental toxins are suspected to be behind the disease, avoiding them as much as possible is the only way to minimize risk of the disease.
2. Junk food, packed food, stale food, food items grown with chemicals, pollution etc should be avoided as much as possible.
3. Food and activities which aggravate vata should be avoided as much as possible. As against it, eatables like almonds, walnuts etc nourish the nervous system and control vata. Including them in diet is therefore meaningful thing to do.
4. Ayurvedic massages, nasya, karnapuran, basti etc help in minimizing vata diseases and maintaining health of nervous sytem. Their regular practice can help in minimizing risk of the disease.
5. Practice of Yoga to has always proved its efficacy in minimizing vata diseases and maintaining health of nervous system.