Insomnia / Sleep Disorder
Sleep is a natural phenomenon of giving adequate rest to the body and mind. Inability to fall asleep at night for many hours or inability to have a sound sleep deprives one of natural rest and interferes with activities during the day. Stress, worry, improper diet, and lack of relaxation are some of the conditions that aggravate sleeplessness. In Ayurveda, insomnia is known as anidra
Home Remedies For Insomnia:
Diet and Lifestyle:
- Have a glass of whole milk (full cream milk; without the cream removed) with green cardamom powder before going to bed.
- Have 1 teaspoon of licorice root powder with a glass of milk on an empty stomach in the morning.
- Boil 3 grams of fresh mint leaves or 1.5 grams of dried powder of mint leaves in 1 cup of water for 15-20 minutes. Take lukewarm with 1 teaspoon of honey at bedtime.
- Have fresh fruits, avocado, pasta, rice, dairy products and sweet foods.
- Include nuts like almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin seeds and peanuts.
- Have salads with a dressing of cream, yogurt or vegetable oils.
- Use whole-wheat flour and brown rice instead of refined varieties.
- Increase use of butter or purified butter in foods. Avoid caffeinated drinks, alcohol and aerated drinks after dusk.
- Avoid watching television or working on the computer late at night.
- Have a body massage with sesame oil, followed by a bath.