According to Ayurveda, a toxic material called ama is produced as a result of indigestion. Fasting is a very nice method to digest this ama. If the patient is fat and strong he can fast completely for two days. Taking fruits, fruit juices and boiled vegetables for one week is also a very beneficial way of fasting.
A light and easily digestible diet is advised for a patient suffering from indigestion. The patient should take plenty of boiled vegetables, fruits, fruit juices and lemon juice. Fresh and cooked food should be taken. Cooking with spices like cumin, coriander, turmeric, fresh ginger, black pepper, asafetida etc. is beneficial. A meal should not be taken until the previous meal has been digested.
- Taking lemon juice in warm water three times a day improves digestion.
- Chewing a piece of raw ginger (about one gram) with rock salt or common salt is good. This should be taken about five minutes before each meal.
- Drinking buttermilk is very beneficial to improve the digestion. It should be taken at the end of a meal. It is better to mix some roasted cumin seeds and a little rock salt or common salt in this.
- Drinking plain soda water gives immediate relief with symptoms like wind, distended stomach and acidity.
- Eating about three grams of anise seeds improves digestion.
Exercise & Regimen:
Sleeping during the day, especially after lunch is prohibited as it produces indigestion. The patient should not stay awake late in the night. He should be free from mental stress, anxiety, fear and grief. Physical exercise according to the strength is beneficial.