Arthritis is a form of joint disorder that involves inflammation of one or more joints .It is related to vata aggravation. This often manifests as tension and anxiety, related with pain. There is also a natural aggravation of vata in the elderly. In the case of arthritis, the aggravated vata combines with ama (toxin) and is deposited in the joints. This state is called ‘amavata’. Ama (toxin) is the result of improper digestion.
- Fruits can be taken in the morning with milk and some nuts and seeds.
- Lunch may consist of steamed vegetables, bread and a glass of buttermilk.
- The dinner should usually consist of green vegetables, sprouts (alfalfa, fenugreek, mung or green lentils), bread and salad. Taking a glass of warm milk before bed is good. Cardamom and fennel can be boiled in this milk too.
- Non-vegetarian foods, tea, coffee, chocolates, sodas, white flour and sugar products, white rice, chemical additives and strong spices should be excluded from the diet.
- Foods that increase vata should also be avoided. This includes very cold or chilled foods, dry foods, light and airy foods (cabbage, lettuce and raw vegetables). Cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, cucumber, green beans and mushrooms increase vata.
- Raw apples, dried fruits and any preserved foods also increase vata.
Exercise & Regimen:
- Green lentil (mung) soup mixed with crushed garlic cloves is easily digested and can ease inflammation.
- The use of castor oil is very helpful in cleansing ama (toxin) and balancing vata. Take one tablespoon before bed, once or twice a week.
- Equal quantities of powdered fenugreek seeds, turmeric and ginger powder can be mixed together. One teaspoon can be taken in the morning and evening.
Meditation and relaxation are other very beneficial activities. Try to concentrate on a certain object, and slowly increase the length of time meditated each day. Regularity of time, place and practice are very important for meditation. A suitable time is the twilight—dawn and dusk. A gentle head massage (with or without oil), some form of fragrant aromatherapy, and soft music also helps relaxation.