What it Heart Disease?
Cardiovascular disease is the most frequent cause of adult death in industrialized socities, and is increasingly important in developing countries. Since the 1960s, mortality from cardiac disease has steadily declined in the USA and more recently in Australia, Europe and certain other countries. This probably reflects changing lifestyles, improved diagnosis and management and other factors as yet unrecognized. But, it is now becoming a major health problem even in the developing countries.
Investigation of Heart Disease:
Investigation can be done in two categories:
Non-invasive test conveniently performed at the bedside such as electrocardiography (ECG), chest radiography and electrocardiography and more complex procedures usually performed in a specialized facility such as cardiac catheterization, nuclear scanning, computed tomography (CT) and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
What Causes Heart Disease ?
1. Excess exercise
2. More spicy food
3. To use more purgatives medicine and enema
4. Tension and fear
5. Improper treatment of any other disease
6. More acidity
7. More dieting
8. Any heart related accident such as shock etc.
Symptoms For Heart Disease:
1. Dullness on face
3. Cough and hiccough
7. Chest pain
8. Breathlessness (Dyspnoea)
9. Acute circulatory failure.
1. Bed rest
2. High flow oxygen
3. Monitor ECG
4. Detect and treat complications early
Ayurvedic Treatment For Heart Disease :
Ayurveda always recommends a proper dietary habit, which can keep away from many health disorders.
1. The drug Terminalia Arjuna has been used in Ayurveda for cardiac ailments since ancient times.
2. Meditation: – Meditation and by performing yogic asanas like Shavasana are very effective in heart disease treatment.
3. In Vataj hridyarog: Punarnavadi oil, Haritakyadi Ghrit, Pushkarmooladi kalka, Pushmooladi kwath, and pathyadi kalka should be used.
4. In Pittaj Hridyarog: Use of mulathi and mulathi made drugs, Drakshadi ghrit and keshrookadi ghrit.
5. In Kaphaj Hridyarog: Katphaladi kashya, udambooradi leha, chwanprash, agastya haritaki, avlaeh, bhram-rasayan and use of shilajatu are very usefull.
6. Tridoshaj hridyarog: Surdarvadichurn
7. Krimij: use of virechan drugs is the best, also shodhan, langhan, pachan chikitsa is very usefull.
8. Laughter: Laughter is as good as relaxation therapy. Study shows that laughter decreases adrenaline and cortisol production. Laughter can help you if you are having high blood pressure. If you are frustrated, unhappy, angry, just laugh. It is the best and free of cost medicine.
Ayurveda and Heart Care
A. According to Ayurveda, ama is the main cause for heart diseases. Ama is the toxic material that is produced by undigested food. Therefore, one must make sure that one eats only the amount and type of foods one can digest properly.
B. Avoid over-eating and eating frequently. Eat a light breakfast and dinner. Lunch should be the main meal. Milk products, fried foods, cold foods and acidic foods should be taken in small quantities. White flour products, and foods that contain chemical preservatives and additives should be avoided. Animal products, especially red meat, are not good as they take a long time to be digested, and create a lot of toxins in the stomach.
C. Seasonal fruits and fresh vegetables (steamed or cooked), wholemeal bread or chapatti, salad, sprouts, vegetable soup, buttermilk, cottage cheese (paneer), a little quantity of fresh milk and ghee (clarified butter) make up an ideal list of food items to choose from. Anything sweet should be taken in moderation. Honey and jaggery are healthier than purified sugar.
D. Amla (Indian gooseberry) is very beneficial for the heart. It can be taken fresh, preserved or in powder form.
E. A very common cause of heart diseases is mental stress. Regular practice of yoga and pranayama (breathing exercises) reduces stress levels. Also, meditation has been scientifically proven to prevent as well as cure heart diseases.
F. A gentle head massage with or without oil several times a week is very beneficial. A full-body self-massage with oil once a week is also good.
G. Too much tea, coffee, alcohol and smoking is not good for the heart and should be given up. They weaken the liver and digestive power, and so form ama.
H. Drinking water kept overnight in a copper pot strengthens the heart.
I. A herb that has been scientifically proven to prevent and cure heart diseases is Arjuna (Terminalia arjuna). It can be taken in powder form or the bark of the tree can be boiled to make a tea.
J. Rudraksha, which is a fruit from a tree found mainly in the Himalayas, also has a beneficial effect on the heart. These seeds can be strung together and worn in the form of a necklace, or the seeds may be soaked in water overnight and the water should be taken early in morning.
K. Obesity is a very common reason for heart disorders. If you have put on some extra pounds, you must reduce it by physical exercise and diet control.