What it Epilepsy ?
Technically not a disease, epilepsy is a disorder that results from excessive electrical activity in the brain and nervous system. Normally, brain cells transmit electrical impulses in a highly regulated manner. People with epilepsy however, experience periods when many brain cells fire all at once this uncontrolled discharge produces symptoms that can range from a blank stare to a loss of consciousness with convulsions. These Episodes are called seizures (epilepsy is also known as seizure disorder). In fact, only 27% of people who have a seizure will have another within three years.
What causes Epilepsy ?
In more than half of epilepsy cases, the cause of the disorder is unknown. In the remaining cases, seizures can sometimes be traced to a previous head injury stroke, brain tumour, or brain infection. Experts think that any one is susceptible to seizures, but for some reason, certain individuals are particularly vulnerable. Heredity seems to play some role in people with epilepsy; low blood sugar levels (hypoglycaemia and low levels of certain nutrients (such as magnesium or B vitamins can induce seizures. In addition, a lack of sleep, drinking too much alcohol, stress, or an illness may trigger a seizure even in people who do not have epilepsy.
How does supplements can help ?
Under no circumstances should individuals using anticonvulsant drugs for epilepsy stop taking them or reduce the dosage on their own. The ayurvedic supplements for epilepsy in the chart are not a substitute for prescription drugs. Instead they may help correct nutritional deficiencies that can contribute to seizures or aid in controlling seizures in people who continue to have them despite medication. Supplements may eventually allow a physician to reduce the dosage of anticonvulsant drugs, which often have unpleasant side effects. Adequate amounts of B vitamins, especially 85 and folic acid, are important because they are involved in the manufacture of brain chemicals (called neurotransmitters) that transmit messages throughout the nervous system. Other nutrients that promote brain and nerve health are calcium, magnesium, and manganese; you may be getting the amounts you need from your daily multivitamin and mineral, or another supplement .
• Brahmi (Bacopa monniera)
• Shankha Pushpi (Evolvulus alsinoides)
• Malkagni (Celastrus paniculatus)
• Jatamansi (Nardastachys jatamansi)
• Brahmi Bati (with pearl and gold)
• Sarswat Churna
• Brahmi Ghrita
1. Avoid pungent, fried & greasy food, sugar & sweets, strong tea & coffee, alcoholic beverages, condiments & pickles.
2. Seeds: Alfalfa seeds
3. Vitamin B: Rice, milk, brewer’s yeast, cereals, legumes, carrots, peanuts, green leafy vegetables.
4. Fruits: Oranges, grapes, grapefruits, peaches, pears, pineapples and melons.
5. Don’t get yourself overstuffed. Go for frequent small meals rather than an elaborate one.
• Should follow a daily routine (dinacharya)
• Try to keep tensions at bay. Keep yourself busy so that you get no time to brood.
• Avoid excitements of all kind.
• Go for an invigorating head and soles of the feet massage with sesame oil daily
• Opt for Meditation