What is Diarrhea?
Diarrhea is a condition that involves the frequent passing of loose or watery stool. It is very common and usually not serious. Many people will have diarrhea once or twice each year. It typically lasts two to three days and can be treated with over-the-counter (OTC) medicines. Some people often have diarrhea as part of irritable bowel syndrome or other chronic diseases of the large intestine.
What causes Diarrhea?
Diarrhea is most commonly caused by the infections of bacteria, viruses and parasites in digestive system. These microbes generally enter the digestive system through infected food, water, milk, flesh or other eatables. Diseases like cholera and typhoid also cause diarrohea. Non-infectious conditions that can cause diarrhoea are inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, intestinal allergies, intolerance to lactose or gluten and hyperthyroidism.
How supplements can help?
Ayurvedic supplement for diarrhea that may reduce the duration of diarrhea in children with acute gastroenteritis include probiotics such as Lactobacillus GG and Saccharomyces boulardii.
Diet & Lifestyle
1. Oral rehydration solutions (ORS) is suggested to to prevent dehydration
2. Sufficient intake of water and liquid foods is always adviced in diarrhoea. Water is adviced to be boiled before drinking.
3. Light, easy to digest food articles such as liquid rice, porridge are recommended. Soups made from lentils are also good in diarrhoea. Fruits like sweet lime, oranges, apple, melons are llowed.
4. Avoid Heavy, spicy, fried food ,Non-veg items, eggs are also not allowed. Sugarcane juice is also forbidden.
5. While goat milk is more recommended, cow’s milk may also be allowed. Buffalo milk is however forbidden. Mother’s milk is however always allowed.