What is Cough?
The common cold is almost always accompanied by a cough and can be quite an irritating condition to deal with. It is a viral infection that can be caused due to Allergic Disorders or sometimes change in weather and due to Weak Immunity Systems. It can spread from an infected person to another through sneezing. According To Ayurveda Common Cough and Cold is caused by aggravation of Kapha. It is also caused by weak digestion. When the food we eat is not fully digested it changes into ama. This mucus or ama reaches the respiratory system and causes cold or cough. Other causes are exposure to cold or humid conditions or cold air.
What Causes Cough?
1. Low immunity
3. Not drinking enough fluids
4. Overusing OTC nasal decongestant spray
5. Air that’s too dry or too moist
6. Bacterial infection
Symptoms of Cough:
In normal cases-
1. Constant sneezing
2. Blocked or runny nose
In severe cases-
1. Sore throat
2. Dry cough
4. Mild fever
Diet & Lifestyle
1. Avoid Cold drinks, ice cream, sweets, fried foods, Banana, milk products like cheese, creams etc.
2. Follow the middle path: don’t skip meals or overeat.
3. Eat fresh, well-cooked food.
4. Start your day with two glasses of warm water.
5. Do not fast during winter — fasting weakens the body’s defenses.
6. Eat a timely lunch and an early dinner for good digestion.
7. Sleep on time — not later than 10 p.m. Restful sleep builds essential energy or “ojas”, boosting immunity.
Practice of Anulom vilom, Bhastrika and kapalabhati pranayama will provide sufficient immunity from cough and cold. Once you catch the infection, practice of Bhastrika, Kapalbhati and Ujjai Pranayama is recommended for wet cough. For dry cough and shitali and shitkari Pranayamas are specially useful.