What it is ?
Osteoarthritis (OA) is one of the most common forms of arthritis. It is a chronic condition in which the material that cushions the joints, called cartilage, breaks down. This causes the bones to rub against each other, causing stiffness, pain and loss of joint movement. The cause is not fully understood. People with osteoarthritis often have joint pain and reduced motion. Unlike some other forms of arthritis, osteoarthritis affects only joints and not internal organs. Rheumatoid arthritis — the second most common form of arthritis — affects other parts of the body besides the joints. Osteoarthritis is the most common type of arthritis.
What causes it ?
Excessive consumption of dry, cold or stale food, exposure to severe cold and dry weather, Some other factors are:
1. Being overweight
2. Getting older
3. Joint injury
4. Joints that are not properly formed
5. A genetic defect in joint cartilage
6. Stresses on the joints from certain jobs and playing sports.
2. Swelling on joint
3. Pain in the joints
4. Stiffness and pain when moving or working
How supplements can help ?
Ayurvedic supplements helps to:
1. Improve joint function
2. Keep a healthy body weight
3. Control pain
4. Achieve a healthy lifestyle.
Diet & Lifestyle
1. Choose foods that are easy to digest and warming.
2. Excessive use of joints and underuse are both problematic, so get some exercise each day, but do not overdo it.
3. Try exercises that are easy on the joints such as walking, swimming and yoga.
4. Keep your weight at an optimum level, neither too overweight nor too underweight.
5. Do not withhold natural urges (such as burping, urinating, releasing gas, etc.)
6. Avoid carbonated drinks, preserved and packaged foods, and dry or cold food items.
1. Use warm sesame oil to massage stiff and painful joints in the morning. Massage improves blood circulation and reduces inflammation and stiffness.
2. Put one teaspoon of fenugreek in a cup of water and set aside overnight. Then next morning, mix well and drink.
3. Boil 10-12 slices of ginger in 8 cups of water for 5 minutes and let it steep for another 10-15 minutes. Drink this tea at a warm temperature throughout the day.